Google+ Q Dot: Back on Grammy ballot and not excited. Why?

Friday, November 9, 2012

Back on Grammy ballot and not excited. Why?

This time 3 years ago I was on the balloting for the Grammys for the first time and super pumped. I jumped up and down and things were literally buzzing around the Tre'dmarks camp. Super exciting time indeed. There were articles written and people talking and all that was super dope. This time - not so much. Not in a "been there, done that" type of way - don't get me wrong it's still and always will be pretty fucking cool and you damn right i'm going to the awards this year, but what I value more now at this point in my career isn't an award or even being nominated or part of the discussion or whatever you want to call it.

What truly is satisfaction and validation for me now as an artist isn't the recognition or being put on big media platforms it's getting fans and supporters of the music I work diligently to create to enjoy it and continue to support it and for that number of people to grow exponentially.

I can look back at my resume in music and say i've done some pretty cool shit but I'd be lying to you if I said all that cool shit has landed me in a place where I feel like my career in music is meaningful and sustainable. Most artists would kill to say they've had their videos on TV networks like MTV and Vh1, they'd kill to be mentioned in the Grammy award conversation and all that and that's cool but for me and my squad? We went back to the drawing board recently with a new energy and new focus on just getting back to the basics and the tried and true methods of making and sharing what we feel is good music because when it's all said and done, no one remembers if you were on MTV, no one remembers if you were up for Grammys, no one remembers who you performed with or none of that ... They remember the impact YOU as an artist have had on them regardless of the venue they had the experience. Doesn't mean we're gonna stop making videos for MTV, BET and whoever else or stop attempting to win a Grammy or be on the radio...just means I realize and apologize to yall that my focus for a while was slightly misplaced - it wasn't entirely on my fans as it should've been, it was on stuff and stuff don't make fans. Now my focus is on my fans because fans make stuff happen.

That said - thanks for the support. See yall at the Grammys! #Tre'dmarks #Hooligangang #FreshcoastistheBestcoast


No comments:

Post a Comment